Thursday, August 4, 2011

Allow me to dork out for a minute


I didn't have that many friends after Elementary School (probably in part because of my umbros), and one of my favorite pastimes was playing adventure games. They were really big in the 90's. The Monkey Island series and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis were the games I played over and over, but I liked pretty much all of LucasArts' offerings, even Loom. I hope you didn't understand that reference because that means you suffered the pains of being unpopular like I did, and now I feel sorry for you.

Anyway, LucasArts gave up on these types of games in the early '00's, canning sequels to Sam & Max and Full Throttle so they could focus on ruining Star Wars. Fortunately the guys who created Sam & Max formed Telltale Games, scooped up the rights and started releasing new games in episodic form. When that was a success, they released a new Monkey Island game. And now they've got even more exciting and/or nostalgic games coming up. Several episodes of  Back to the Future is already available,  Jurassic Park is on the horizon and (yessssssssssssss), The Walking Dead is in development. I was ultimately quite disappointed in the TV series, so I'm pretty excited to see how the game turns out. The Telltale games have been topnotch thus far; here's hoping they keep stomping on LucasArts' face.

No comments:

Post a Comment